Points of Interest at Belmont Abbey
1. Abbey Church – Maryhelp of Christians
The Church of Maryhelp, constructed in 1892, was built to replace the original Chapel of Maryhelp. It was designed to articulate the Catholic character and focus of the institution. It has been designated as a minor basilica.
2. Monastery Building
The monastery was built in three wings (1880, 1891, 1894). Its portico (1902) was designed as a porte cochere. There, Abbot-Bishop Haid would await the arrival of guests’ carriages.
3. Lourdes Grotto
The monastery’s Lourdes Grotto was created in 1891. Intended to foster prayers for vocations, it was blessed as a Pilgrimage Shrine.
4. Abbot Vincent Taylor Library
The College’s library is an academic and research facility with over 115,000 books and bound periodicals. The monks as well as the students make use of its holdings. Special collections in the library feature Benedictine and monastic books, Carolina volumes, autographed works, incunabula, and a large number of rare and valuable books. The library also schedules occasional exhibits, speakers, and authors’ readings. For information call (704) 461-6748.
5. Saint Joseph Adoration Chapel
In 1995, a chapel dedicated to Eucharistic adoration was inaugurated by Abbot Oscar and Bishop William Curlin of the Diocese of Charlotte, in cooperation with neighboring parishes. A new chapel was inaugurated on August 26, 2008, with the celebration of the first Mass in the chapel, and the formal dedication was celebrated by Bishop Peter Jugis on November 7, 2008. The chapel, designed by William Monroe of WGM Design in Charlotte, is set is a wooded area of the campus near the residence halls, and serves both members of the college community and visitors from the local community.
6. Abbey Cemetery
The monastery’s cemetery serves as the final resting place for the monks.